Saturday, March 12, 2011

it's been awhile

ahhh yes it has been awhile...

i have come to the terms that i am not good at and never will be good at updating this thing on a daily basis no matter how good my intentions are or how hard i try. maybe this says something about myself, i'm not sure...any who, on another note...

things are well.
a few weeks ago i really messed up a phone interview for a really cool photo opportunity in new york. i didn't realize it was a formal, official interview until a couple of questions in. and when we got to the part about my rates i froze. i get so uncomfortable talk about money and how much money people should be giving me to take pictures for them. i know i can make a lot of money doing it but the thing is i enjoy doing it so much that it seems silly to be getting paid such large amounts to do something i consider a hobby for myself.

after beating myself up about it for a few days i realized it was a learning experience. i learned that i really need to get my website up and running and i need to establish rates. next time someone ask about rates i need to be able to whip out a piece of paper and radial off numbers confidently.

in really good news...i semi-confidently did just that the other day. i met with a bride to be's mother the other night to impress her and the maid of honor that i was the right photographer for the job. i prepared for this by making temporary and kinda cheesy business cards, printing photos in different sizes and finishes, and typing up official price sheets and sample packages. after walking her through my portfolio we moved on to talking about price. i was scared she would question my price or try and talk me down but at the same time i knew i was being reasonable and could be charging a whole lot more. in the end, she loved my work, thought the price was just right and that i was perfect for the job!!

this is my first official client!! and the the first job i'm doing , not under someone else, where i'll be getting paid in a four digit number!! she offered to give my information to a few of her friends who have daughters who are getting married. i never saw myself doing wedding photography but i might have had a change of heart. all of this is kind of exciting and i can't wait to see where it leads me...


1 comment:

  1. ahhh hooray!! yay for you, i'm so happy for you. that's a little feather in your cap (never really knew what that meant, but i think it's appropriate for right now)
    ps. please update more, i like to read about your life :) is that creepy? ha oh well. xoxo

    ReplyDelete